Attention NJHS Members: Community Service Opportunities
NJHS students can now easily sign up for service opportunities within the district. Students just need to click or copy and paste the following website:
This will be updated when I find out about new opportunities, so feel free to save the link and check regularly!
Feel free to contact me with any questions at 810-591-1076.
Community Service Requirements (2017-18)
Information on Earning Your 15 Service Hours: Service Hours are due by May 1, 2018
Record your hours using this form: NJHS Service Hours Record
Honor Society students may earn service hours in a variety of ways. If you belong to any civic organization, or are willing to work for one, you can earn your credits by volunteering for that group.
Service hours MUST be earned during the 2017-18 school year.
volunteer "work" done during the summer outside of school does NOT count.
Here is a list of suggestions to help you help others:
- Help an individual teacher at school
- Tutor another student
- Volunteer for church activities
- Help with scouts
- Volunteer at a hospital or nursing home
- Read newspapers to the blind - this can be done from your own home on the phone
- Volunteer for any of the Flint Journal "Volunteer Here" activities, which are printed each week in the paper.
- Volunteer to help a senior citizen do a chore they could not do themselves, such as clean windows, mow their lawn, plant flowers, etc. Don't take money for the job or it won't be considered volunteering.
- Volunteer at the Humane Society
- Volunteer at any elementary school to help one of your former teachers
- Be creative!! Develop your own plan to help others.
Tips on Volunteering
- Try to make your service hours ones that reward the community and make it a better place
- Try to find opportunities that are fun for you individually
- Smile and show the adult who must sign your service form that you enjoy the chance to help.
- Say, "Thank You," to the person who signs your service form.
- You MUST complete at least 15 Service Hours. Of course, you may do more.
- Many local citizens would love to have you volunteer at their businesses on a weekly or bi-weekly basis for an hour after school. Examples: veterinarians, attourneys, public libraries, day care centers. Ask and see if this is a possibility if you are interested. Be assertive!
Your 15 hours MUST be earned AND SUBMITTED by May 1, 2018.