Attention NJHS Members: Community Service Requirements (2018-19)
As community service opportunities are presented, NJHS students can easily sign-up for service opportunities within the District and community. However, this is not intended to be the student's only source of community service opportunities. Students are highly encouraged to seek opportunities on their own.
To access, see and sign-up for the volunteer opportunities available, students just need to click or copy and paste the following website:
This link will be updated as new opportunities arise, so feel free to save the link and check back regularly.
Feel free to contact me with any questions at (810-591-1706).
Here is a list of suggestions to help you help others:
- Help an individual teacher at school
- Tutor another student
- Volunteer for church activities
- Help with scouts
- Volunteer at a hospital or nursing home
- Read newspapers to the blind - this can be done from your own home on the phone
- Volunteer for any of the Flint Journal "Volunteer Here" activities, which are printed each week in the paper.
- Volunteer to help a senior citizen do a chore they could not do themselves, such as clean windows, mow their lawn, plant flowers, etc. Don't take money for the job or it won't be considered volunteering.
- Volunteer at the Humane Society
- Volunteer at any elementary school to help one of your former teachers
- Be creative!! Develop your own plan to help others.
Tips on Volunteering
- Try to make your service hours ones that reward the community and make it a better place
- Try to find opportunities that are fun for you individually
- Smile and show the adult who must sign your service form that you enjoy the chance to help.
- Say, "Thank You," to the person who signs your service form.
- You MUST complete at least 15 Service Hours. Of course, you may do more.
- Many local citizens would love to have you volunteer at their businesses on a weekly or bi-weekly basis for an hour after school. Examples: veterinarians, attourneys, public libraries, day care centers. Ask and see if this is a possibility if you are interested. Be assertive!
Your 15 hours MUST be earned AND SUBMITTED by April 20, 2018.
Congratulations to all of our NJHS (2017-18) members for their dedicated support toward improving our school and the Swartz Creek community through sustained community service. Please review the roster (available in the menu to the right) to see who earned special honor levels!