On Wednesday, October 31st, Swartz Creek Middle School students will be permitted to wear costumes to school provided that are within the listed guidelines below:
Halloween costumes . . . .
- Cannot be offensive in design or intent which includes not mocking or resembling another student, school staff member, or religious preference.
- Cannot feature inappropriate themes, characters or reference to drugs/alcohol etc.
- Props including plastic swords, guns, wands, etc. are not permitted. If brought to school, these items will be held in the office until a parent or guardian can pick them up.
- Masks or any item that may impair or limit vision or make it difficult to determine a student's identity is not allowed. Makeup or hair coloring must be applied at home.
- Cannot interfere with daily responsibilities both in and out of the classroom. Costumes must be comfortable enough to wear for the entire school day.
- That are overly scary or gory/bloody will not permitted.
- Must meet the general standard of “clean and covered” expressed in our current School Dress Code.
If a student's costume is found to be inappropriate by SCMS Administration, he/she will be asked to remove the costume. If you have any questions regarding the appropriateness of a particular costume idea, please do not hesitate to ask or call SCMS Administration in advance of October 31st for guidance.